My favorite words
This page is a running list of my favorite words.
- Bochecha. Cheek (Brazilian Portuguese). Sounds nice. Pronounced
- Dealybob. The thingamajigger that you use to get the whatchamacallit working
- Jacaré. Alligator (Brazilian Portuguese). Fun to say. Pronounced
"jah-kuh-ray". Pronounce the J like "Jacques (Cousteau)".
- Malaphor. A blending of idioms and cliches (English). E.g.
"it's not rocket surgery".
- Piker. A gambler who only makes small bets (American English).
- Samfai. Con man (Jamaican).