My favorite words (and phrases)
This page is a running list of my favorite words and phrases.
- Bochecha. Cheek (Brazilian Portuguese). Sounds nice. Pronounced
- Dealybob. The thingamajigger that you use to get the whatchamacallit working
- Jacaré. Alligator (Brazilian Portuguese). Fun to say. Pronounced
"jah-kuh-ray". Pronounce the J like "Jacques (Cousteau)".
- Malaphor. A blending of idioms and cliches (English). E.g.
"it's not rocket surgery".
- Morta na farofa. Tired (Brazilian Portuguese). Literally
"dead in the farofa".
- Piker. A gambler who only makes small bets (American English).
- Quebra cabeça. Jigsaw puzzle (Brazilian Portuguese). Literally
- Samfai. Con man (Jamaican).
- Vertrouwen komt te voet en gaat te paard. Trust arrives on foot and leaves on horseback (Dutch). Source.